Purchasing adequate limits on your NY motorcycle insurance policy is as important as purchasing enough limits on your NY home insurance policy. Now that the weather is starting to warm up, many bike riders are thinking about getting that bike on the road. But it is critical to remember that motorcycles can be dangerous when not handled correctly.
In fact, motorcyclists are 29 times more likely to die in a crash than people in a car, according to the Motorcycle Legal Foundation. So not only is NY motorcycle insurance very important, but so is general safety.
At The Murray Group, we offer NY motorcycle insurance in addition to our NY home insurance, auto insurance, umbrella insurance and many more.
Here are nine important motorcycle safety tips for riders as provided by Markel Insurance:
- Take a safety course. A safety course will teach you the rules of the road for motorcycles. You will also learn the appropriate actions to take in unpredictable riding situations that can arise.
- Check the weather before heading out. Rain, ice and snow can compromise your ride. Driving in these elements is hazardous for bikers because you have less traction than a car and visibility is lower.
- Wear motorcycle gear. Motorcycle gear protects you from the elements, debris and road rash. Appropriate gear includes a DOT-approved helmet, goggles, leather jacket, leather pants or chaps, over the ankle boots and non-slip gloves.
- Inspect your bike before each ride. It’s a good idea to inspect your bike before you ride to ensure it is as safe as possible.
- Obey traffic rules and drive the limit. This may sound remedial, but it’s important to follow traffic rules, use signals and drive the posted speed limit to avoid accidents.
- Be visible. Avoid other drivers’ blind spots; drive with your headlights on even during the day; wear reflective or bright clothing, and; always use your turn signals and hand signals.
- Be observant and watch for hazards. Driving defensively enables you to anticipate traffic problems and road hazards. Sand, oil and gravel can make you lose traction.
- Stay at a safe distance. Tailgating is not safe. It is recommended to stay at least four seconds away from the vehicle in front of you.
- Carry a first aid kit. Keeping a basic first-aid kit with your motorcycle is a good idea in case of injury. It should include: disinfecting wipes, bandages, hand sanitizer, gauze, adhesive tape and Band-Aids.
To read the full article from Markel, click here.
Are you looking for motorcycle insurance in Albany, NY? The Murray Group Insurance can get you a motorcycle insurance quote today! Give us a call at (518) 456-6688 or click the arrow below to get started with the best independent insurance agency in the Capital Region and New York.
The Murray Group is committed to bringing security to our partners lives. We provide you with valuable tips and advice that you can apply in your daily life. Visit our blog for tons of information on all kinds of insurance.
If you would like to receive a proposal for homeowners insurance, auto insurance, or business insurance, please contact us by clicking the image below:
Also, you can connect with The Murray Group further on The Murray Group Facebook Page. We would very much appreciate you posting a review on Google, Yelp or Facebook if you found this post to be helpful.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposely only. No legal advice being suggested. The author assumes no responsibility or liability for the actions taken or not taken by the readers based upon such information.